2.22.2007

Girl of Steel

As a result of a blog post a couple weeks ago by Dean Trippe, it seems like everyone is taking a crack at redesigning the girl of steel's costume, in a response to DC's current efforts to whore her up as much as possible. For the record, I've always thought the folks at DC did a pretty good job with her costume, and I especially dug the Timm version that was used in the various animated series, even if it does seem slightly dated, I suppose, ten years on.

Anyhow, I decided to play along and take a crack at it, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I started with a bunch of sketches, and about halfway across the page I settled on wanting her to have a sort-of "Street Angel meets Supergirl" kind of look, a little more grounded in reality (hence, the hoodie). Also, I tried to beef her up a bit, although I'm not sure how much of that came across in the final version.





7 comments:

mike said...

she's fantastic, dude. i love the hoody. :)

april said...

i love this!

Paul Conrad said...

I love your take on her....and I also love all the sketches....Love to see you finish any of those out as well!

Robert Ullman said...

Hey, thanks, folks! Mucho appreciato!

I'm thinkin' I might go back and flesh out some of these other looks when I get some time...I dig the unzipped hoodie look!

Will Pfeifer said...

Looks great, Rob! And I like the idea of an all-powerful gal wearing such a down to Earth (but snazzy) outfit. Nicely done!

Dominic Bugatto said...

I'm really liking the top batch o sketches.

The final's nice too , sort of a 'urban schoolgirl ' take on the character.

Joe Crawford said...

i'm running through the meme -- i like yours a lot!