1.09.2008

New Comics Day: Josie Taylor

This week's comic is "Josie Taylor", the lead story from issue #6 of my late great mini-comic series, FROM THE CURVE, published in 1999. That was a great year in some ways, with my career as an illustrator really beginning to take off...But it was a pretty damn rough time socially, as I was having a really hard time meeting anyone, and could feel my twenties fleeting away. Obviously, I'm no longer the sorry bastard I was when I wrote this strip, thank heavens. Still, I think it's an example of turning misery into something positive, as even eight years later it's one of my favorite things I've done.









5 comments:

John said...

Thank you for posting this. It is open and touched a chord: I'm 28 now, and definitely feel this way sometimes -- especially the 3/5/7th wheel thing... thanks for confirming the future is bright.

HEK said...

Criminy! I was absolutely in this situation at that age! Except I wasn't prone to moving anywhere. Maybe that was my problem...

Anonymous said...

A footnote for everyone out there: some months after this saw print, I ran into the real "josie taylor" that inspired Rob to do this story, and asked her why she flaked on him. She sheepishly told me she'd contracted scabies!

In fairness to Rob, I think the josie taylor here was a slightly fictionalized amalgam of several ladies who stood him up around that time.

This is one of my favorite stories. I've always loved the bee-head girls. It's also much more enjoyable to read now that Rob is happily married. He could be a real killjoy back then!

Robert Ullman said...

This is all true. Especially the part about me being a killjoy. I'm surprised anyone wanted to hang out with me back then!

Anonymous said...

Oh crap. Guys I actually know a girl at my high school who has done the same thing to me. Guess what her name was? This is way to ironic to be coincidence.