1.10.2008

New Inks

Unable to find my preferred brand of ink (Koh-I-Noor drawing ink) at any art supply store here in Richmond, and too cheap to drop six bucks for sipping on a three-dollar bottle from Dick Blick, I've been auditioning a couple different brands the last few days. Among them are Windsor & Newton Drawing Ink, and Dr. Martin's Bombay Black India Ink. I don't like either of them as much as the KohI-Noor...The W&N, with which I inked these figures, is a little too thick. And the Bombay...well, it's fine, but for one thing: It tastes funny. I'm sure it sounds weird, but I once heard from some artist I respect (although not enough to remember who they are) that nothing is better for keeping a nice sharp point on a brush than good ol' saliva. So, every time I get done washing it out, I give it a drag across my tongue (I'm sure you're thinking, wow, that's way too much information...but it works!). Anyhow, the Bombay has this acrid chemical taste to it that kinda makes me gag. Ah well, I guess I'll have to get used to it, or pony up the cash for the good stuff!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I knew where to find it, I would send you a bottle, just so you could re-do those drawings, which are beautiful, but indeed the lines are too thick.

Keath said...

The face on the third girl is amazing!

Devon Sanders said...

I don't know.

I kind of like it.

The line thickness reminds me of Doctor Thirteen's Cliff Chang and that's a very good thing.

Owen said...

They don't look like they taste bad.

Elaine Greywalker said...

I have great respect for Koh-i-Noor. Prefer them myself. I also prefer your drawings with more sensitive lines. Up to you, but I would pay the shipping. And then call those shops and insist they stock it!

Jay Geldhof said...

Huh, I believe Chappy was talking about the thickness of the ink itself, not his lines.

I could be wrong, but if I'm not, it's weird the way everyone picked that up and ran with it.

They look A-OK to me, Pally!
And I always liked that last strip.
And it's true, nothing brings a brush to a better point than a twirl in the mouth. Back in the day, it was Pelikan Ink for me. I kinda miss that taste.

Ben Towle said...

I used to mix in a small bit of Higgins Black Magic with W&N ink to thin it a bit--that may help it get to a consistency you like.

These days, though, I use this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz211/26/

You can get it in a big, big bottle, which is really cheap in the long run and makes more sense to pay shipping on. Maybe give that a try if you see any small bottles around?

Anonymous said...

"Huh, I believe Chappy was talking about the thickness of the ink itself, not his lines."

Well, duh, I was kidding.

Okay, no I wasn't. I don't have a clue about ink.