1.23.2010

Do Not Rescuisitate

A couple years back, in a move much-ballyhooed and made a big deal of by me, The Washington City Paper stopped using my illustrations with the Savage Love column. Though it was a blow to lose them (and their budget) as a weekly client, I continued to provide Savage Love illos (albeit not in color) to a couple other papers, Detroit's Metro Times and Philadelphia Weekly...that is, until last Monday, when I was notified by PW that their budgets had been cut, and that there was no cash left for my weekly spots. So,down to only one venue for my work, I know that this is the time to bow out for good.

I've been doing the spots for one paper or another for over ten years, and to be honest, I don't know what I'm gonna do with myself next Monday when it's time to send the art along and there's no one to send it to! Still, I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity...drawing the column every week for a decade was an invaluable experience, enabling me to hone and fine-tune my style, as well as challenging me to produce top-notch, funny work every week under a rigid deadline.

Thanks to Pete Humes for the initially hiring me to draw the spots for Punchline, and to Jandos, Pete M., Sean, Hawes and Tim for picking me up along the way! Here are a bunch of recent illos...thanks for the memories!









13 comments:

Justin Gammon said...

Sorry Rob. It looks like that gig was a lot of fun, and you did a lot of great work.

Can't wait to see what you tackle next. It will probably be Hockey related.

Matt said...

Holy shit. I used to read Savage Love in my local free weekly newspaper but I stopped when they switched the artist (kinda weird I know). The paper stopped carrying it a while ago but seeing these drawings brought back memories... I didn't realize you were the artist before the switch. Your stuff was great and the new guy wasn't nearly as entertaining. Sorry, Rob, but you'll get something. You're too talented to not find lots of work.

Ben Cohen said...

I came across your work through our mutual connection with Ben Towle. I am so sorry to here things have taken this turn. Just don't stop working.

James Anderson said...

Awwwww, poop. The Metro Times won't be the same without you!

Kenn Minter said...

Sorry to hear that you've lost those gigs. Freelance cartooning has really dried up in this recession (depression!). I get an assignment every once in a blue moon these days.

Robert Ullman said...

Thanks for the kind comments, all...I really appreciate it! Don't waste a second feeling sorry for me...honestly, I'm happy I had as good a run as I did, and it was probably time to move on to something else anyway!

bdouglas701 said...

Sorry to hear that dude. With your talent im sure there will plenty more opportunities. Keep up the killer illustrations!

Devon Sanders said...

To be honest, I stopped reading Savage Love after they stopped running your weekly illos in the DC City Paper. Without you there, stories about anal fisting became less funny and more just stories about anal fisting.

(There's your next back cover blurb.)

TomHandy said...

Honestly, I think your illustrations have always been a perfect match for the Savage Love column - I've been bummed ever since the Washington City Paper stopped using you.

Just out of curiosity, is there any possibility of you doing stuff directly for the Stranger itself? Looks like they have Joe Newton illustrating the column, but I think your stuff seems like a much better fit.

Robert Ullman said...

As it happens, I do work for The Stranger all the time...they're one of my best clients (in fact, I just finished a piece for 'em yesterday)! But I've never even brought it up, 'cause Joe is their guy, and he does a great job...the only thing worse than getting canned myself would be swiping someone else's gig!

Kyle T. Webster said...

Half the fun (sometimes ALL the fun) of that column is the illustration. This is terrible news. Sorry to hear it.

Scott Faulkner said...

Daaamn, that blows! I read SL in the Stranger but I enjoyed seeing your illos on the blog and in your mini-collections. I like Joe's work but I think you and Ellen Forney have done the best Savage Love drawings - funny, but also bringing a little sexy.

Duckpin Press said...

As one of the art directors lucky enough to have worked with you, I'll always remember the joy of getting your e-mail in my inbox, popping open the art, and being amazed (and, frankly, often scared) at your latest creation. You brought a dimension to each Savage Love column that is sorely missed. Congratulations on a wonderful run. -Pete