5.27.2010

Stanley Cup and Cheesecake 2010 - Stanley Cup Finals Edition

Chicago Blackhawks vs. Philadelphia Flyers

What an interesting final. Lots of storylines and interesting facts here. For one thing, a longstanding trend will be broken, as either team has won it all in a loooong time; 35 years for the Flyers, nearly 50 for the Hawks. In fact, each of these teams was swept the last time they made it to hockey's biggest stage. You know the TV networks gotta be loving it, with two of the nation's biggest cities represented and a chance at boffo ratings (if the people in those cities have any damn sense).

Now, the Blackhawks...I gave them a good chance of being here since the end of last season (though I did have a stint there where it was looking, at least to me, that it was the Canucks' race to lose). But the Flyers? I've enjoyed their misfortune all season...from their hilarious goaltender troubles to their having to squeak into the playoffs with a shootout win on the season's last day. Still, I had to hand it to them when they continued their season-long mastery over New Jersey in the first round. They ended up playing fellow Eastern Conference red-headed step children Boston and Montreal, as even-money a trifecta as you could hope for, to advance to the finals. Now here they are, and you gotta give them credit for it.

To be honest, once the Penguins ignominiously bowed out, I wasn't sure I'd even keep doing hockey previews the rest of the way...but historical affection for the Blackhawks and, more importantly, disdain for the Flyers won the day. I'm glad it did, because I LOVE this image!

Considering the roll Chicago has been on, I can't imagine the Hawks having too difficult a time with the Philly, who frankly just aren't used to seeing the type of competition they'll see this weekend. The hockey fan in me wants to see a long, entertaining series...but the Penguins fan in me, the fan who hates the Flyers with the burning intensity of a thousand suns, wants to see them swept and humiliated. Even considering this series going longer than six games leaves way too much to chance for my liking...but I ultimately don't think that'll be a concern. Blackhawks in five, meaning they'll win on home ice and we'll have to hear that awful Fratellis song about a thousand more times. Annoying, yes, but better than seeing the Flyers win.

(Hey, I got through this entire post without even once mentioning Maid Marian! I guess I've finally moved on! The thought of Daniel Carcillo and Scott Hartnell's names on the Stanley Cup will do that to you.)

12 comments:

Mary McB said...

The weight is the same as the last time the Flyers won the Stanley Cup...

Jeff said...

Completely agree, Rob. Over Marian...he got what he deserved last year, and the Flyers are so hated, there is not any way I can root for them. Amazing illo, that is just spectacular. Lets go Hawks!

David Lee said...

the Flyers girl is freakishly tall. She appears, in juxtaposition with the Cup to be roughly 6'1".
Yes. I say "freakishly tall" to anything over 5'8".

Peter said...

I can't wait to see what you unveil for the 2011 WINTER CLASSIC!!

(I just read that there are going to be 2 games, one in Canada in Feb.)

Anonymous said...

I'll be okay with a Chicago win in 5. Can't wait to see the "after" version of this.

chibi said...

after embarrassing my bruins, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the hawks will humiliate pronger and his crew in philly. that said, i'd be surprised if the series didn't go at least six games.

Todd V said...

Over Maiden Marian? Not me quite yet...but definitely prefer him to Carcillo, Hartnell and Asham??? getting their names inscribed. Maybe Hossa can take some weak injury like a hangnail that will keep him out of playing but the Hawks win and the best of both worlds (at this point) can play out.
I guess I can seriously harbor some long term hatred for other teams and players...I've lived in Atlanta for 15 years and HATE the Braves for what they did to the Pirates 19 years ago!? So, I'm headed to the Ted tonight and tomorrow to root against said Braves for a Pirates Triple A roster full of players I've never heard of. Go Bucs. Go Pens....already pumped the WClassic shall be held on the North Shore!!

Robert Ullman said...

TV - I posted this on Facebook last week, and I'll share it with you here:

Best case scenario for Stanley Cup Finals: Blackhawks sweep Flyers; w/ 5 minutes remaining in Game 4 and Hawks leading 6-0, Dan Carcillo destroys Marian Hossa and knocks his lights out; Carcillo is beaten to death by Bob Probert after the game, and Hossa wakes up in the hospital a week later with no memory of anything that happened after Game 7 of LAST year's final!

Evan S said...

Going to game 3 tomorrow. As a Blackhawks season ticket holder who missed games 1 & 2 because I had to be back east for a wedding, I am dying to wear the Indianhead at the Wachovia Center tomorrow night. Am I a fool for doing so, or are Philly fans a little overblown for how they treat out of town fans? I'm going to be pretty low key, despite sporting the black, red and white. Thoughts?

Robert Ullman said...

Evan, I read your comment last night while waiting for my wife at the airport (who, as it happens, was returning from a weekend in Chicago), but forgot to respond until just now. Stay safe out there amongst those savages...I'm sure you'll be okay! You might no get to witness the actual championship, but if the Hawks can pull out a win, you might as well have!

Brian said...

A couple of wins for the Flyers last night:

1.) 4-3 winner in OT. Duh.

2.) 20,297 was the largest crowd ever to watch an NHL game in the state of Pennsylvania.

Scoreboard, Rob! :-)

Anonymous said...

Kill the Philly Cunts...