7.12.2010

Harvey Pekar 1939-2010


Late in 1994, I read in the Kent Stater that they wanted to start running a daily comic strip, and were looking for submissions from cartoonists. I worked up the example shown above, fully intending it as my own take on (or rip-off of) Harvey Pekar's American Splendor comics. The strip ended up running for an entire semester, and the experience of creating four strips every week under tight deadlines was more valuable to me as a cartoonist and illustrator than four years of college. And in a way, I owe it all to Harvey.

Rest in Peace, old fella.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Pekar inspired a lot of artists and writers, no doubt about it. He will be missed. R.I.P. Harvey.

Kenn Minter said...

I did a daily comic for my college's newspaper for 5 years. It was much more rewarding than my actual "education."

dylanio21 said...

This post inspired me more than you know...